Friday, May 29, 2009

Winning a Soft Toy at an Arcade Claw Machine





Dear Maizy

I have just completed my research into arcade machines that use a mechanical claw to extract a soft toy. I've always tried to use the momentum of the swinging claw to fling those toys into the collection bin for you without much success. I now know why.

Winning a toy is not a matter of skill. There is a control box in the machine that COUNTS the number of times the player will lose before he/ she is allowed to WIN. That is a fixed number. It can be set ridiculously high!

In order to win, you will have to observe other people playing and count the number of losers. That is the magic number. Play only when the counter inside has reached that magic number.

There is another setting inside that randomises the gripping strength of the claw. Which means even if it is the winning turn, the chances to win are still 50-50.

You see, we've been had all these years. If we converted those tokens we've wasted to cash can you imagine how many times we could've seen X-Men in the movieplex with large popcorn tubs...

Your partner in regret

Andy

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I was doing research on these vending machines when i stumbled on your blog entry about the conspiracy! haha. i would really appreciate it if i can interview you for my story regarding the trend of these machines. Do drop me an email at heng0091@ntu.edu.sg if interested. Thanks-Linette:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know where to buy toys machine?? Real one.....Like the above

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether your looking for that original appeal, or the classic appeal, i would reccomend

    www.arcadetables.com.au

    They have ALL the classics from my childhood. I havn't played since my atari 2600!
    They come with over 60 games, pre-installed. Just plug in and play.
    The 1980's … they may be old, but they never get old! Relive that misspent youth,
    and dominate the universe all over again!

    ReplyDelete